What is a TCA (Trichloracetic Acid) Peel?
A superficial TCA (Trichloracetic Acid) Peel is a quick, mild downtime procedure that renews the skin by lifting dead cells off the surface of your skin and stimulating metabolism of the cells underneath. With a series of TCA Peels you can quickly achieve substantial improvement in the appearance of superficial lines and uneven pigmentation, while making your skin look and feel softer, smoother, and more radiant. Acne scars and enlarged pores may become less noticeable, and acne breakouts may be reduced.
Who would benefit from exfoliation treatments with TCA Chemical Peels?
Mild TCA Peels are usually suitable for all skin types including those patients with:
- Acne or sensitive skin.
- Individuals who have sunspots, hormonal pigmentation, sun-damaged skin.
- Dry, ageing skin.
- Oily skin with enlarged pores.
- Acne scarring are also good candidates.
However all exfoliation treatments make your skin more sensitive to the sun thus a sunscreen of SPF# 30 should be used daily, and sun exposure avoided
When should one start with TCA Chemical Peels?
After your initial consultation, you will be given a pigment lightening gel which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates the enzyme that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
- The skin is continually undergoing natural exfoliation.
- As one ages, the epidermal cell turnover slows down and one's skin becomes dull because the topmost layer consisting of dead cells becomes too thick.
- This dead layer can challenge the skin causing whiteheads, blackheads, rough texture and uneven appearance of the skin tone.
- If one exfoliates regularly, new healthy skin cell are exposed to nutrients from the air, water and daily skin products.
- These nutrients are then transported to the deeper skin cells where they are needed, improving circulation.
- Potential benefits of exfoliation include fresher, brighter looking skin and better penetration of active ingredients of skin care products
What preparation of the skin is needed prior to an exfoliation procedure?
After your initial consultation, you will be given a Brightening cream such as from our Neostrata range, which must be applied to the entire face daily for ten to 14 days before the peeling process can begin. This down regulates 6 enzyme pathways that produces melanin and will prevent the possibility of post inflammatory pigmentation PIH that can occur after any exfoliation procedure.
What results can be expected after a TCA Peel?
- Fine lines and wrinkles become less apparent.
- Skin tone evens out.
- Texture becomes more refined.
- Oily or acne prone skin is improved.
- Enlarged pores appear smaller.
- Superficial scars appear reduced.
- Skin appears healthier and more youthful.
- Pigmentation is reduced in all skin types.
What To Expect After the TCA Chemical Peel?
A mild redness of the skin occurs following the procedure, followed by dark scaling that appears within three to five days and sloughs off after five to seven days. Mild peels such as the 10 to 15 % TCA may be repeated at four-week intervals until the desired clinical effect is achieved.
Can all skin types be safely treated with a TCA Chemical Peel?
Yes, all skin types can be safely treated with a low strength of up to 10 % TCA Chemical Peel without significant pain or down-time. It can improve acne, pigmentation, texture, pores and surface irregularities in only 2 to 4 treatment sessions two to four weeks apart.